SMPTE Metadata Dictionary (SMPTE 335M-2001)  has been developed by the Society of
Motion Picture and Television Engineer (SMPTE) . It is composed by a set of metadata
elements describing audio/video documents that can be grouped into the following categories:
At the present time the standard definitions have been published in the form of a spreadsheet, but the first step in making the Metadata Dictionary
more accessible is to convert the dictionary to a more agreeable format like XML.
- Identification: this class is reserved for abstract identifiers and locators.
- Administration: reserved for administrative and business related metadata.
- Interpretation: reserved for information on interpreting the data.
- Parametric: reserved for parametric and configuration metadata.
- Process: reserved for information about the essence or metadata processing.
- Relational: is reserved for information about the relationships between data.
- Spatio-temporal: reserved for information about space and time.
- Organisationally Registered Metadata: this class contains two sub-classes, from which the first one is reserved for metadata
registered by any organisation for private use and the second one is reserved for metadata registered by any organisation for public use.
- Experimental Metadata: in this part users may create their own structure consistent with the Encoding standard.
Progress is now also being made in providing standardized translation of SMPTE metadata to and from web-friendly XML, and in reconciling SMPTE metadata
to MPEG-7 and other descriptive metadata schemes.