The way to deal with an impossible task [is] to chop it down into a number of merely very difficult tasks, and break each one of them into a group of horribly hard tasks, and each of them into tricky jobs, and each of them... (Truckers, Terry Pratchett)
Multimedia semantics (definition and discovery), semantic web, human-computer interactions, eScience applications
MUSCLE (Multimedia Understanding throgh Semantics, Computation and Learning). I hold a MUSCLE Internal
Postdoctoral Fellowship which means I spend 9 months at ISTI, CNR in Pisa before heading to IBaI in Leipzig for 9 months. My fellowship is
investigating hybrid approaches to semi-automatic semantic annotation of multimedia using machine-learning techniques, semantic inferencing
rules and ontologies.
Title: "A Semantic Framework for the Management, Analysis and Assimilation of Mixed-media Scientific Data"
Institution: ITEE Department, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Current Status: submitted August 2006
Supervisor: Prof. Jane Hunter
DART (Dataset Acquistion, Accessibilty & Annotation e-Research Technologies)
ITEE Department, University of Queensland (Jan 2006 - Aug 2006)
Senior Research Assistant
DA3 module, investigating metadata schema repositories for eScience applications
FUSION (Fuel cell Understanding through Semantic Inferencing, Ontologies and Nanotechnology)
DSTC, Brisbane (Feb 2003 - Aug 2006)
Collaboration with the Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis, UQ Math's Department and DSTC.
This project is the basis of my PhD research and involves using semantic web technologies to support fuel cell researchers.
Automatic Personalisation and
Generation of Multimedia Presentations
CWI, Amsterdam (Aug 2002 - Dec 2002)
Supervisor: Lynda Hardman
Short project with Multimedia and Human-Computer Interface group
SPLASH (SMIL Presentation and Lecture Archive SearcH)
DSTC, Brisbane (Dec 2000 - Jan 2001)
DSTC Student Summer Vacation Project
Building and indexing an online distributed SMIL lecture archive
- Jane Hunter and Suzanne Little. "A Framework to enable the Semantic Inferencing and Querying of Multimedia Content" International Journal of Web Engineering and Technology (IJWET) Special Issue on the Semantic Web. vol. 2. December 2005.
- Laura Hollink, Suzanne Little, and Jane Hunter. "Evaluating the Application of Semantic Inferencing Rules to Image Annotation" Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Knowledge Capture, KCAP05. Banff, Canada. October 2005.
- Jane Hunter, Kwok Cheung, Suzanne Little, and John Drennan. "FUSION - A Knowledge Management System for Fuel Cell Optimization" International Conference on Solid State Ionics. Baden. July 2005.
- Suzanne Little and Jane Hunter. "Rules-By-Example - a Novel Approach to Semantic Indexing and Querying of Images" Proceedings of the Third International Semantic Web Conference, ISWC2004. Hiroshima, Japan. November 2004.
- Jane Hunter, Katya Falkovych, and Suzanne Little. "Next Generation Search Interfaces - Interactive Data Exploration and Hypothesis Testing" 8th European Digital Libraries Conference. Bath, UK. September 2004.
- Jane Hunter, John Drennan, and Suzanne Little. "Realizing the Hydrogen Economy through Semantic Web Technologies" IEEE Intelligent Systems Journal - Special Issue on eScience. January 2004.
- Suzanne Little, Joost Geurts, and Jane Hunter. "The Dynamic Generation of Intelligent Multimedia Presentations through Semantic Inferencing" The Sixth European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL 2002. Rome, Italy. September 2002.
- Suzanne Little and Jane Hunter. "A Tool for Creating, Editing and Tracking Virtual SMIL Presentations" EdMedia 2002. Denver. June 2002.
- Jane Hunter and Suzanne Little. "Building and Indexing a Distributed Multimedia Presentation Archive using SMIL" The Fifth European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL 2001. Darmstadt, Germany. September 2001.
- "A Semantic Framework for the Management and Knowledge Mining of Mixedmedia
Scientific Data", COMBIO forum, Institute for Molecular Biology, University of Qld,
28th Apr 2005.
- "Knowledge Mining over Distributed Multimedia Databases - Experiences in the
FUSION project for Fuel Cell Optimization", DSTC Participant Forum: Defense
Applications, University of South Australia, Adelaide. Mar 2005.
- "Rules-By-Example - a Novel Approach to Semantic Indexing and Querying of Images",
ISWC2004, Hiroshima, Japan, 10th Nov 2004.
MUSCLE E-Team: Integration of structural and semantic models for multimedia metadata management
W3C Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group
Internal Research Page
Last modified: Fri Nov 10 15:54:09 2006